The development of the design of the bridges was led by simple ideas. The aim was to minimise the pedestrian-cycle connection between the riverbanks and to maximise it with panoramic public spaces. The centre of the bridge is visually minimal and the structure begins with the archetypical middle of the bridge, giving specific character to its entrance. The line transforms in relation to the environment and extends to create a public space connecting the lower and upper terraces on the riverbanks. The transit trajectory at the junction will become a meeting point with 360° views of the city, whilst the flat arch will allow minimum passage in the river and the construction foundations will create panoramic public spaces for locals to gather by the water.
These two bridges will introduce new pedestrian and cycling routes between the Nemunas banks and Nemunas Island. The smaller bridge will connect the island with the Old Town and the New Town; the main bridge from the island to H. ir O. Minkovskiu Street. The bridges will act as a unified complex to connect important developments of the Kaunas city centre: the historical part of Kaunas, Nemunas Island, the future National Science and Innovation Centre and M. K. Ciurlionis Concert Hall, the industrial areas on the left bank in Aleksotas, and the lower Freda districts.
Until the 20th century Nemunas Island was an unurbanised natural formation with the shape of the island. The Winter Port, a port peninsula with railway and port infrastructure, was established here in 1917. In 1974 the port was gradually extended into a park. Construction of important public buildings on the island began in the 21st century.